RE: Re:Was- Sooperlooper or Mobius? now Midi Latency

> With, it was fcb1010 was 5-6mS or so.

Interesting!  Much higher than I thought.  So for the common ASIO
buffer size of 256 (5.8ms) the input latency adjustment with an
FCB1010 should be near zero.

This probably explains why so little software bothers with latency
compensation.  Once you're using ASIO or CoreAudio and can actually
get buffer sizes at or below 256 the adjustments are so subtle that
most people wouldn't notice them.  I've always wondered why the
Max/MSP people weren't complaining about latency compensation since I
seriously doubt all the various overdubbing and live edit patches out
there are doing it and the Max engine can't help.

When I worked on the compensation code years ago with PortAudio v18
and MME drivers it was essential because MME latency was so high.
After switching to ASIO it was hard to test because errors were almost
undetectable.  In retrospect it was probably more trouble than it was
worth but it was a good learning exercise.

Now that I think about it, there should actually be different
compensation factors for the computer keyboard and MIDI since a USB
keyboard should be able to pump events in faster than 5ms.  Then
probably another for OSC messages sent from my iTouch!  Ugh, this
is going to be hard to explain :-)

Jeff