Re: Steppophonic Looperformer - please steal this!

Per,

You've done it again. And I'm delighted it is with a CC license, too!

You and Mark's comments immediately got me thinking of two tools, one new and one a little older, that I have been playing with lately.

A couple of days ago. I downloaded the Elysium Generative software sequencer and started messing about with it (yesterday I just finished up a "studio" piece, having used Elysium for the basis of developing it). That, combined with Per's manifesto, reminded me of another cool bit of software written by Ohio University's  Mark Phillips,  a little MAX/MSP package called "Wave Surfer".

By itself, Wave Surfer is an amusing little bit of generative software that you set some parameters for and turn loose to run as long as you wish. But when just before I left the artist's residency I did at Ohio, Mark dropped a little file on me to play with ... a customized version of Wave Surfer that allowed me to play a series of notes on the guitar/MIDI controller which it then proceeded to use to begin generating sounds. It was set up to take the first 7 notes that I played and then begin tone genesis.

I'm wondering if something like that combined with something like Elysium would begin to create what Per is suggesting.

Especially since Wave Surfer was written as a MAX/MSP run-time app ...

Best to all,

Dennis "I'm not a programmer" Moser