Re: Hints at multi -plexing Re-visited..

mark francombe wrote:
> Yo Gang,
>
> I didnt get quite the volume of hints expected when I posted queries
> about the fun/pitfalls of running 2 EDP´s (maybe there isnt any). I also

if it's only 2 edps, and you're not attempting stereo then not much can go
wrong with brothersync.

Most of my tricks are connected with the risky stereo setup, so won't be
much use to you.

If you're going to record to both edps simultaneously then I guess you'll
have some of the stereo
problem, which is that it's common for sync to get lost when you're not
recording from reset.

Creating polyrhythms by using 2 different values of 8th/cycle is possible.

> mentioned that I have a gig next week and was unsure if I would dare to
> try this new set-up (If my second EDP turns up that is...)
>
> Well.. Ive decided, I dare... but I DO have some rack reconfiguring to
> do in advance, and so have ONE SPECIFIC QUESTION, (OK 2 questions) to
> those doing this "Oh Brother Where Art thy Sync" thang.
>
> OK.. So..2 questions (that i cant suss from reading the manual)
>
> 1) When using Brother sync its possible to have either EDP as the Master
> and start with that one, and the other becomes the SLAVE. So what
> happens if you start with EDP1, come in with EDP2.. loop freely for a
> bit (changing the SubCycles on each) (BTW Im planning , for this
> performance at least to use my current EDP with FCB1010, and new one
> with the EDPs pedal... not midi note fiddling prior to the jig) So..
> then,  I STOP EDP1... what happens, does EDP2 stop too? OR.. is it still
> going??

still going

>Can I now use EDP2´s running loop as a master, and bring in EDP1
> again, but now with that one as slave,

yep

> or does EDP1 still know its
> MASTER, and do a Quant rec, when you start it up again? (000).

nope

brother sync works both ways, whichever runs a loop is master

> 2) When doing the brother sync thing.. where cometh out the midi clock??
> for running to all the other toys.. the master EDP ? or either?... If it
> only comes out the master, then thats OK, I can make a rule to ALWAYS
> start with that one (will probably do that anyway)

probably best

> Im assuming that you
> cant get DIFFERENT midi clock divisions from each EDP.. 8ths against
> 16ths for example...

you could