Re: EDP problem

Andreas Willers wrote:
> Luis wrote:
>
> "is there a way to try it with another analog footcontroller? if you are
> talking about the cheap chinese switch FC-7 that comes with the EDPs
> find the nearest trash can and dump all your headaches with it!"
>
> They do
> look like they are originally intended for hand operation and not for
> foot pedals though.

According to Kim Flint that the switches were selected by trial for quick
response time
to foot taps. Clunky switches (or those with a long travel before contact
) don't
help for rhythmic accuracy.
In the early days of EDP, the switches didn't have much problem.
I have 2 FC7s which functioned perfectly (well, almost) before going into
storage,
but 5 years later they don't work reliably, so I guess that the
contacts oxidise eventually.
The FC7 is designed so that it can be connected with a simple guitar lead,
which is a nice touch, but unfortunately this design also makes the
response
dependent on there being no contact resistance in the switches, even
momentarily.
That's why it's common for the FC7 to have switches which call up
unexpected functions.

So, it's a matter of replacing the switches, perhaps even regularly, for
reliability.

Some folks have reported that regular cleaning helps too.

andy butler