how do you loop?

I'm sure this has been asked many times throughout the existence of this list; I've even seen a couple folks talk of such things recently, but not a thread devoted to it.

So I, and probably others, wonder:

How do you loop?  What is your ideal setup and process, and what is your usual setup and process?  Whether you use hardware/software/a mix of both (ok, I'm slanted, I'm always more curious about the last, since that is how I like to go, but I'm curious about it all, as from time to time I do the other options as well), I'd like to know your live process.

Yes, I should specify, this about LIVE setups/processes, etc.

Looking forward to hearing how we all do our thing!

-nn
happyhumans.org

PS: Feel free to reply offlist, but I'd also like 2-3 suggestion from anyone and everyone on the list of music/musicians/etc that I simply must listen to.  Your absolute favorite 2-3 (and yes I know there is always a time and place, but let's look overall).  I crave new input, but not an overload of!