Re: Backing Up a Cat (Re: Bidule CPU multi-core support on Mac seems fine now)

2009/5/18, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> ..but again i have to let go the experimental side and turn on
>> ableton's to work in strict timeline with other "regular" player since
>> this is what he uses. i mean, he wants me to do everything for him to
>> soloing over ... this is me sending live templates & sequences...
>> boring approach ...  hope this will change after the former meetings.
>
> Hey - that sounds very exciting! I wish you the best luck and lots of
> fun at those two gigs!
>
> I've been dreaming about sometimes backing up a great soloist with
> livelooping. Just staying in the background to build open soundscapes
> that lets him/her stretch melody lines over several possible chord
> vamps. This means being careful with thirds so the soloist can decide
> if going for major or minor. Then follow him/her and maybe present a
> next step into a parallel key, depending on soloist's direction.

you're considering he knows how to improvise which is not the case.
nor that i'm an expert neither! i'm talking about to create 4,5 or 6
pieces (1 hour music ... errr .... just one half of the concert),
almost enterely from scratch ... the main problem it's the timbre and
dynamics of the instrument ... it's a popular wind instrument from the
lands we're living: dolçaina or xirimita. It's low developed
technically, and the joke all players do is that just two dynamics
level are possible with the dolçaina: on/off.

also they use to play with other dolçainistes or wind bands (i'm also
playing in one of these bands)..

think of a duduk/shenai powerful enough to blow your ears at 1 meter
of distance.

try.. i've not,listened it since i'm at work, ...
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=65611

> Imagine John Coltrane backed up by a laptop loopist instead of the
> usual jazz trio!

surreal...

--
Raul Bonell at Blogger: http://raulbonell.blogspot.com