Re: thinking about moving from rack to laptop...advice please!

exactly! :)

i think the best is to have 2 seperate rigs. one with hardware and the other with software. the approach, aesthetic on these platform should definitely be very different. you can never get the same exact sound on software anyway.

i did a tour in usa in march. i recorded an album with miguel frasconi in ny. for 2 pieces we recorded his old dave smith analog synthesizer. oh my god! what a sound! i could never get that sound using soft synths. i would spend hours just get soft synth sounds sit well in the mix. a lot of professional producers got tried of this and they have begun to use vintage and new analog synths and hardware fx again. also there is a new market for tube analog mixers recently. ( tl audio etc )

just a thought.

best.

Erdem Helvacioglu
www.erdemhelvacioglu.com
www.myspace.com/erdemhelvacioglu
"Wounded Breath" album is out now on Aucourant Records:
www.aucourantrecords.com/catalog.php?op=detail&cid=23

"wounded breath album will open you up to new experiences and
allow you to explore worlds previously closed to you."
Blogcritics, Richard Marcus

"wounded breath is an outstanding acousmatic record, period."
Massimo Ricci, touching extremes