Re: mastering plug ins

Rainer my friend,

Of course you know that my tounge was planted firmly in my cheek when I
made that statment. :)

That said I do belive what you say insofar as I understand it. I don't
know anything about multiband this or thats!
My use of software goes like this: I record (now in 24 bit) leaving plenty
of headroom. I like to leave lots of room for dynamics, meaning I can't be
sure of all my levels in random buttons and configs with my hardware gear.
Then I save the file and proceed to clip out the good bits etc. saving
each as a seperate file.

Now for processing I usually sample a bit of noise and the do a noise
reduction run on it. I might also at this time adjust levels in the
recording as needed. I may or may not do some eq on it then using
whatever. I am getting weak here. I try out all the other stuff but it's
just at random and mostly don't like the results. Maybe a little eq works
out. Ignorance is not bliss here. I despir of under

I then normalize to -3db, make a mp3s and shoot them up on the web.
Simple! But I know it's not the "right" way to do this. I am just ignorant.

on speakers, I have some M-Audio studiopro 3. Small deaktop monitors that
don't look near as good as the ones you suggested but they sound ok. the
final tests are in my Jeep on my kind of crappy, not even high end audio
system. My recordings sound thin compared to real cds and such with not as
much presense I guess you could say, but they are"ok". Also I check on
boomboxes and as many stereos as I can find. Most of my music is not being
played on high end systems. it is being played on computer speakers and
Ipods, etc. My recordings sound weak there also, no balls! I don't mean
loudness here either. It's that missing thing that I am trying to improve.
They sound just ok :(

I am sorry if I don't make sense but to paraphrase McCoy, Damnit Jim, i'm
a musician not an engineer! I guess I need a little of all of it these
days though with all the possibilities for self production etc. I am
willing to learn (arrgh) new tricks if I can.

Thanks for the honesty and info. I'll take all the help I can get to bring
this old dog into the new ways.

Best,

Jeff