"Non Canned Surround Music" event (Re: New free toys in Mac v10.5)

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Sjaak<tcplugin@scarlet.be> wrote:
> great!

I'm finding the new surround panning most inspiring!

OT rambling:
How about producing a festival for Live Surround Music! Could be pre
defined as a four channel event to give performers a fair chance to
rearrange the control surfaces of their live rigs. One issue would be
to keep enough space INSIDE the speaker's sweet-spot for the audience.
I once played over an 18 channel system and it was great even though
there were no particular "direction" or "depth" in the live sound
design context; just different frequency bands of a summed stereo
output flying around the 18 speakers above, left, right and behind.
Would be cool to give folks a chance to set up their rig to PLAY the
surround sound - actually that would be the point in such a festival.
This would break some new ground related those guys that play back
audio files from the hard drive with Max-MSP or PD surround treats. A
"Non Canned Surround Music" event ;-)

Woops... this OT took off a bit, think I need to chance the subject line.

per