Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational

As for myself, I have no problem with the idea of such events at all
(looping festivals, electronic music, and so on).  And as for the look
at me and love me aspect of live performing, well, anyone needing that
and thinking the audience at a loop fest will be able to satisfy it
might have other issues to be addressed :-)

Personally I'm intrigued by the idea of playing live for an audience
of strangers not because I seek any sort of adulation but because I
wonder what the energy and attention of other people can bring to a
performance.  Where I get hung up is the all too real ability of other
people to negatively impact my playing (I don't play well under
critical scrutiny).  But I do wonder what a little extra supportive
attention might bring out in the music.

So from the perspective of someone who doesn't in any way "need" to
play live (for fame or fortune), I wonder if its worth trying to
overcome all the baggage and hassle that comes with playing publicly.

Kevin

--
Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Sound and Vision:  http://www.minds-eye.org NEW SITE 3/01/09