Re: ambivalent feelings about playing live (was: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational)

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Bob Amstadt<bob@amstadt.com> wrote:

> Whenever you look at forms of music outside of the mainstream, there
>will be
> a huge decrease in audience size.  A big part of it is that the marketing
> simply doesn't exist.  When you are bombarded with mainstream music on
> radio, on television, in elevators, on hold on your telephone, and
> everywhere else, you expect music to sound a certain way.  Deviation from
> the accepted sound is weird and nobody wants to listen to that.  At
>least,
> that is basically what we are brainwashed into believing.

I used to think like that, but to be honest, I don't any more. I think
it's too easy to blame "the man" when in actuality people just prefer
music when it's in a certain format. I know zero people who are into
instrumental music who are not musicians. More people were musicians
in the past because there was no such thing as a "recording."  If you
wanted to hear something you had to play it or have someone play it
for you.  Edison screwed that up. ;)  Now when people are very used to
getting their music in a recorded format they don't often choose
instrumental music unless it's for the sole purpose of being the
backdrop to a dance club.  So add a general distaste for instrumental
music, then add the often meandering nature of improvised instrumental
music... and you have an audience of musicians and not much else.

I think that's good though.  Little odd niches are kind of like a
memetic mutation factor that helps fuel change in all art.  Dada
started out as a bunch of artists talking to each other about the
dissatisfaction with the rigid rules of the art world and 80 or so
years later we have Raygun Magazine.  How many people have David Torn
CDs?  How many people have David Bowie's Heathen? It's not because one
is better or marketed better.  I just think people like the format
that David Bowie writes in more.