Re: Guitar to Midi Converter

Well, since Ted brought up the GR-1 ...

I've only been using the Roland GK gear for 4 years ... I started with a GK-2 on a Fender Squier and a GR-1 ... because I came to playing electric from classical, I don't seem to have experienced some of the complaints that others have mentioned that are technique-based. I added a GR-20 to the mix about 3 years ago. Again, no problems as being reported here. During that time, I also got a Godin xtSA that has a 13-pin pickup built in to it. Again, no problems.

I flirted briefly with an early Axon, but it was more primitive than my GR-1 and not that close to my GR-20 so I sold it. The sounds were good and I can only imagine that the newer ones are worth the money. Again, I did not experience any issues from the "performance" stand point, just limitations of it being an early model.

Two year ago, I added a GI-20 interface and a Roland XV-2020 to drive it. I am using Roland US-20's to switch between the various components. Because my original GR-1 began to develop seriosu issues with the power supply connection, I acquired another, expanded, one along with a VG-8EX. (n.b., I am underwhelmed by the VG-8, possibly because I am not into "Amp Models" and am looking at sound synthesis ... I may be putting the VG-8 up for sale shortly).

Likewise, since Fripp's name was raised by the original poster, his most recent trip through the US revealed him STILL using the Roland GR-1 ... it's tied into several Eventide Eclipses and other goodies, including the latest Axon synth. He keeps the GR-1 as his primary guitar interface/synthesizer because "he likes its' bell and chime sounds." (Yes, I asked ... ) He is also using the Roland US-20 13-pin switch/pedals. BTW, his guitars on this trip all had the 13-pin pickups built in ... no external GKs.

Conclusions (mine only!): The GKs seem to require some adjustment of technique for some; there is lots of good used Roland and Axon synths out there to be had if one wants to get into polyphonic guitar-driven synthesis. THere are usually a number of GR-20/GK-2 and GI-20/GK-2 packages on eBay on any given day. One advantage of using a GI-20 is that it allows you to hook up ANY other MIDI synth source ... including a Mac laptop running Garage Band ... or setting the GR-1 at #28 allows a "blank" MIDI channel to drive other MIDI synths from the MIDI/OUT plug. Lots of good solutions with a little searching and digging.

Best,

Dennis