Re: in ear MICRO-phones, binaural audio (was: toys for non-musicians)

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com> wrote:
2009/7/30, michael noble <looplog@gmail.com>:
> Per,
>
> I was wondering if you've experienced the "hole in the middle" problem when
> playing binaural recordings back through standard stereo speakers? Maybe I
> have an especially thick skull or something, but I can definitely notice a
> lack of spatial dynamics in the center of the stereo field.

this is a common issue with binaural if played through speakers. but
with per's approach you could always "repair" that loss, by maybe,
using a mic(s) pointing to where's suposed to be the hole and then mix
all signals at a desired level.

Along these lines I've had some interesting results with using a closer range handheld stereo mic in tandem with the binaurals and then mixing down later.  My worry though is that this approach will introduce phasing artifacts that may defeat some of the clarity of the binaural approach. Until I can afford a portable preamp for my schoeps, I don't have suitable mono mic, so I guess I'll have to have some fun trying things out to hear what works.