Re: OT Re: in ear MICRO-phones, binaural audio (was: toys for non-musicians)

2009/7/30, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>:
> hi Raul,
> Yep, it's a pity about the pre-amps on the H2.
> Actually, the onboard mics don't have that problem,
> so I wonder where the quality loss comes in.

that's why i stopped using the binaural electrets, which i prefered
for ambient recordings against the option of using all 4 mics from the
h2.

> You could always hack a couple of connections into the H2
> so that your capsules would connect into the circuit
> at the point where the Zoom capsules do now.

i've checked several sites dealing with this hack and it looks like
the route to go, certainly.

> With an external pre-amp, you'd be relying on the quality
> of the Zoom line-In anyway.

although noisy, i think it's a different story from the plugin power
socket, which is a joke.

> If you go the DIY pre-amp route, why not use a dedicated
> pre-amp chip like SSM2017 (or whatever replaces that these days).
> Simple circuits on the datasheet for the chip.

electronics nerd here. do you mean replacing the preamp chip that
drives the actual plugin power input on the h2 by the SSM2017?.

i've found this site in the u.k., but they seem to sold all their
preamps out! although a new model is on the owen....

http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/products/felbattpreamp.html