Re: wiki - list of free software for audio

Louigi Verona wrote:
> Well, because if you did try any free software audio, it is very
> difficult to install and configure. you have to separately install sound
> drivers and some sound "servers" like JACK and start the manually. I've
> spend two days trying to get at least some sound from Rosegarden and
> eventually failed.

A common issue in Linux, although it's gotten a lot better..

> Musix, on the other hand, provides everything "out of the box". You
> click on Rosegarden and start up scripts take care of JACK and all that
> other stuff. Something that had to be done a long time ago - user
> friendliness.

That I didn't know, thanks.

> It did work for me in the Virtual machine, but it failed to recognize my
> E-Mu soundcard though and I do not know the solution for that problem
>now.

Virtual environments do not directly intereact with hardware, but rather
through abstractions, i.e. drivers are part of the virtual layer,
meaning you won't be able to directly access your soundcard.

Future developments will see hardware developed for virtualized systems,
where not only the OS and virtual layer can do context switches, but
also the hardware. Don't wait for this overnight; it's the future..

--
rgds,
van Sinn