Re: OT: Mainstage patches - setup & manage effectively?

Hi Buzap,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> I was wondering how you setup and user Mainstage patches effectively.

Each mainstage patch exists of 1 synth patch with it's own insert
effects. I use a concert level audio input for my Nord Wave; this way,
the Nord is always available as a sound source. Next: each of my
pre-looper effects like Augustus is an insert effect on an AUX channel
strip, also on concert level. So my routing looks as follows:

Chain 1) Mainstage patches => Soft synths (aux) => delay 1 (aux) =>
delay 2 (aux) => delay 3 (aux) => reverb => output 1-2
Chain 2) Nord Wave => => delay 1 (aux) => delay 2 (aux) => delay 3
(aux) => reverb =>output 1-2
Chain 3) main Looper, 100% wet => output 1-2

Important: delay 3 is using a "Send" to feed the main looper (eg Mobius or
LP1)

Advantages of AUX channels on concert levels:
- Effects won't be killed when you switch patches, they are always their
- You can control pan each aux effect; this avoids a muddy mix with
everything centered
- Maintenance: you can easily change the order of your pre-loopers.
Also, you don't have to re-map your controllers when you change the
routing of the effects

> What should I keep in mind to optimize performance (cpu/memory)?

Using multiple external audio input channels can consume a lot of CPU,
as well plugins like Delay Designer  and Space Designer. Add the CPU
usage control to your layout so you get an idea of the average.
Depending on the maximum latency you prefer, you can always increase
the buffer size of your audio card, because that will decrease CPU
usage.

--
Sjaak Overgaauw
http://premonitionfactory.com/