Re: MIDI Looping

Hi

> I don't think so. But this is typically something I imagine can be built
> in MAX.
basically you always have to define what shall be recognized as a
pattern. Whether it is a time orientated definition like a bar or a
certain number of notes. But you have to say: what _is_ a pattern and
what is _not_ a pattern. If you do not do this you will always run into
the trap with two repeating notes being recognized as two repetions of a
one-note-pattern. (And saying a single note cannot be a pattern is not
good, because you may want a steadily repeating single sustained base
note).

> Another suggestion to reach a similar effect in MIDI looping is to
> define certain MIDI note numbers to trig certain functions. Then you
> simply play those notes to give looping commands like "record", "stop
> recording", "new track" etc.
This is a very nice idea. It makes the handling much easier.

> Logic will be using its global cycle mode for looping,
> which means all loops has to be of the same length.
Not necessarily. You can setup a very long song length (two thousand and
something bars which can be several hours - depending on tempo and
measure settings), and use then the loop function per sequencer. That
way also a individual loop length per track can be achieved.

I went through all this, because looping with MIDI (or CV/Gate) was
exactly what I was looking for. All this requires extensive preparation
on a laptop. Maybe this does not disturb others, but I wanted to get
away from that kind of making music. I don't want to klick thousand
times anymore, before I can play a single note of music. After all that
trials and tribulations I finally decided to use standard audio looper
hardware - an Electrix Repeater and a Lexicon Jamman - and record my
synths there. This is of course my personal point of view based on my
being bored after 25 years of making music with computers and doing my
dayjob in a software company.

Florian