Re: Apogee Duet

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Chris Sewell <lunamusic@mac.com> wrote:
> Apogees Duet

I recently used an Apogee Duet on a "producer seminar" tour and found
it perfect for the situation where you talk and and play around laptop
audio. It was Apple that put me there with that audio interface but I
couldn't have chosen a better one myself for this situation. The big
master volume knob on the top is great for grabbing on the fly and
adapt the playback level as you go. I imagine it would be great for
mixing too, if using the technique to move between alternative
acoustic playback levels in order to keep your listening fresh as long
as possible. I did not record through it though.

One thing I would have wished the Duet to have is an extra power feed.
This is a good thing to have when playing concerts with a firewire
audio interface. I have noticed with my own FW boxes, and heard from
other musicians, that the firewire cable can easily lose connection if
the computer is moved on the table or if the firewire cable happens to
hang down getting poked by mistake as you reach for a plectrum or
something. If the full power feed to the interface goesthrough this
firewire cable such a short break will cause the system to swap over
to the computer's built-in audio interface; PA audio silenced. If
using an extra power feed besides the firewire cable the effect will
not be that drastic.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se