Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video?

Quoting Sjaak Overgaauw <tcplugin@gmail.com>:

> ...I prefer to organize a festival where quality plays an important role.
> That's of course subjective, but I believe more in quality than in
> quantity.

As a performer, I prefer quality performance situations to quantity.

Thus, many years have passed since I've had to perform at a "gig from
hell".  The thread that runs through all bad gigs is that the event
organizers fail to show respect for the musician(s).

To expect musicians to perform with handballs crashing into their
instruments (as was mentioned upthread) makes a mockery of
music-making.  (Hint: you should decline any gig where you are to set
up in the middle of a golf course driving range, too.)

In most cases, bad gigs are situations where the audience is not there
for the music -- the music is simply there to create atmosphere or
whatever.  Add to the situation organizers and patrons who don't give
a hoot about music or musicians and the situation is bound to be
horrible.

The Y2K festival is, for me, ideal.  Rick and all the volunteers are
supportive of the musicians and the audience is attentive.  All genres
are welcome and encouraged.

As the topic of labels (ambient, jazz, etc) emerged I looked over my
performances over the last few years and they are all at events that
are non-genre specific.  I play at electronic music festivals, the
looping festival, art fairs, and a couple of theremin events.  My
music has been well-received in these situations however would not fit
into popular genres (i.e., jazz, rock, blues, folk, country, etc.).

If the "genre" is "space music", "ambient", "minimalist", or
"neo-classical" I might be able to fit in.  For a jazz, rock, pop, or
country festival I don't think I'd bother to apply.

-- Kevin