Re: Help needed with RC 50 connections set-up

Rick Walker wrote:
>  Andy wrote many wise things,
> This one I can't agree with 100% from my experience on stages.

> "The idea that condensers are feedback prone is handed down from
> generation to generation of
> sound guys... but has no basis in fact whatsoever."

Even in the face of Rick's evidence I gonna stick with that statement,
especially since all the top mic manufacturers are now producing
condenser mics specifically aimed at stage use (even Neumann).
Condensers tend to have a more accurate polar pattern, so if
correctly aligned with the monitor should give better rejection.

Of course, if we're talking about individual mics
then that doesn't necessarily apply.

I'd agree with Rick, in a gig situation
the monitoring can be awful with a very uneven frequency response.

It makes sense to try a different mic like the SM58, in the hope
that the dips in it's frequency response line up with the
peaks in the monitoring .

One advantage of the SM58 is that (strange/insane as it may
seem) it's common practise to set up pa systems using an SM58.
(the whole foh mix is put through a graphic equaliser which is
used to null out feedback).
Under those situations, any non-SM58 is at a disadvantage.
(and I've sometimes found pa people uninterested in getting the best
out of any other mic).

I don't know the C1000, maybe it's not a typical condenser mic
in terms of polar response (quite likely with it's budget
method for attaining a dual pattern.)

The old pa guy mantra is "condensers feed back because they
are more sensitive"...I've heard it many times...origins
and meaning lost to antiquity.

The mic I'd try is the trusty Sennheiser 421,
as used by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTljMHlyA1o&feature=fvw

andy
ps. *do* check out that link, it's important