Re: The EDP and the Looperlative

On 1/2/11 4:39 PM, "Mark Hamburg" <mark@grubmah.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2011, at 11:24 PM, Dustbunnies wrote:
>
>>> That's cool, but the EDP is loaded with
>>> SUS-style and other long-press based behaviors and works with a range
>of
>>> controllers.
>>
>> Eh?  Waitasec, now I'm a bit confused.  You can do the EDP "long press"
>> functions with a standard MIDI pedal?  How the devil are they
>implementing
>> that?!?
>
> It needs a pedal that will send note on and note off or that will send
> controller to max and controller to min. So, it won't work with
>controllers
> that only send program changes, but if the controller will send note
> information or send pedals as non-latching continuous controllers, the
>EDP is
> built to recognize the pedal release.

Oh, sweet.  I should've known that Andy and Matthias would come up with
something interesting.  The note compatibility makes sense and I'd imagine
that the CC max/min config was taken to maintain compatibility with the
ordinary sustain pedal.  Good idea.

But, you do realize that it kinda puts the LP1 and EDP on the same ground
in
regard to MIDI controllers, right?  I mean, in both cases, you can get
basic
functionality by using an ordinary PC-style MIDI pedal, but to get the most
out of it, you need one that supports a bit more.  In the case of the EDP,
you need one that transmits MIDI in notes-mode or CC.  For the LP1, things
like the ability to fire off commands on pedal release or timed commands.

In neither case is an advanced pedal controller absolutely necessary, but
you can surely get enhanced capability by using one.

Anyway, thanks for the background on the EDP control functionality.  Now if
I can just get somebody to explain to me in plain English what 'Loop
Windowing' is, mebbe I can figure out how to get the LP1 to do that.  ;D

        --m.