Re: VERY OT: A humble request about Dropbox.

I actually dont think it IS any good for hosting a website... TBH Im not sure if you can even link to an image... well of course you can cos you can mak a gallery, but as for hosting html or php or whatever...  I dont think so...
You need a website? Why look any further than Wordpress? Personally I think it saved my life... although I do have my own server space where I host Wordpress, and that is a bit fiddly to set up.

No... Dropbox is for sharing files with people, or Backup.

Heres how it works:

Lets say you were gonna collaborate on a song with Um... lets say Fabio.. You start the track in Logic (or course... what else) and save it to your Dropbox folder. Now this folder is ON YOUR MACHINE, very important that... Just a regular folder. BUT.. Its a dropbox folder, so it copys (automatically) all those groovy guitar lick files, and the Logic project up onto the World Wide Web (the internet for you youngsters). Now he gives Fabio access (by going to the website) to that folder. Fabio looks on HIS machine in HID Dropbox folder... and sure enough.. like magic.. there is a folder there called Louies Song. Fabio opens the project, remember its ON HIS MACHINE, so no internet laggy shit... and plays some sensitive piano shit.. Now they want some red hot drumming, certainly not some crappy old loops or drum machine, so they add Rick to the Shared folder, and he does his stuff...

At this point, Louie wants all the control back, its HIS song, and sure as fuck no one else is gonna mix it.. so he deletes them from the share, and they're files no longer update.

Now there MIGHT be a time when both have the same file open.. what happens? well when one of them saves, it gets synched on the server, when the next saves, its changes the name to Louies Song_conflicted copy... Its a fuckup, someone loses, but with a bit of clever copying and pasting you should be OK. Its certainly better than the files trying to merge, which some versioning systems try to do...

Its gonna totally revolutionize the way I am working with my friend in Japan, if only the balding fucker would get of his fat ass and do some frigging work...

Mark

--
mark francombe
www.markfrancombe.com