Re: Compressor-Sustain Pedal Advice

On Feb 5, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> I just got a Philosopher's Tone. I'm still figuring out how to set it so
>that it's useful but doesn't destroy dynamics. But my brief playing with
>it left me reasonably happy. (Not as happy as the MXR Stereo Tremolo has
>made me recently.) So count this as a tentative additional endorsement.

Turn it down and I'm still feeling a bit like I'm dealing with the
compressor making the sound more disconnected -- I wouldn't expect a
compressor to introduce latency -- but it also does very nice things to
provide a little more body to my guitars and the Philosopher's Tone into
the Swollen Pickle is a lovely combination.

> One weird thing: The jacks on it do not get along with the plugs from
>the Planet Waves Cable Station kit. I've been able to get other cables to
>work, but I'm going to have to figure out a real solution when it finds a
>spot on my pedal board.

It definitely doesn't like thicker plugs. The Monster guitar cable I play
with is known to be a bit of a tight fit for some jacks. It won't even
come close to working with the jacks on the Philosopher's Tone.

Mark