Re: SoftStep vs 1010

Hi Luis -I enjoy your posts.

Yes. I meant to mention that.
Each Patch carries the  ability to re-define the Exp pedals, the on-board Ctrl switches, each of the Extension pedals/switches and the Amp Ctrl outs.
The Ctrl switches can send command strings, too.
The strings from Patch or Ctrl switches can contain commands sent on any or mixed channels, and the exp pedals can be assigned to any channel by any patch.
Alternatively Ctrl switches (on or off board) can be simply assigned to a single midi command and configured as latching or momentary.
Also the Patch can be given a name (up to about 16 characters) which displays until the next patch is pressed. Heh, at least you know where you've been.

Now, as I said, it's easy to program, (no manual required -it's almost interrogative),  but all this control means it's a long trip (lots of presses) through all the parameters. If you're getting old and fat like me, it's better to get it off the floor for this job ;)   So, you'll want to think long and hard first, set up your first patch with as many common elements as possible completed and tested, then copy it to as many locations as necessary and then make the name changes and alterations to the rest of the set -if you get what I mean.

Best download the manual at http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/1810998/FC-300_e2.pdf
I've never understood why this hasn't been more popular. It is a whole design generation newer than the 1010, which is getting pretty old.
I guess folks are inclined to think it might be VG-specific.

Gee, having gone through all of this, I have to wonder if the Gordius can match it. Per?

best,
Keith