Re: Why does mainstream seem more like , downstream these days?

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Paul Richards
><paulrichard_rocks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yeah, but the title of the e-mail says "mainstream". Who in the
>mainstream is doing anything
> even like Pat Metheny did with his earlier band Pat Metheny Group in so
>far as instrumental
> music with varying "world music" influences? I don't see (or hear)
>anything coming down the pike.

Good point Richard. Experimental music is hard to find these days if
you mean really new music, like Pat played in the early 80's, mixing
different genres into something new. I don't know if he was the first
one doing this, but if he did, that would be my definition of
experimental music, in other words ground breaking music. I think Per
had a point too that many artists use "experimental" as a way to
describe their music, perhaps to tag themselves as "non-mainstream" or
as my mum says "strange music"? Actually, I'm using the term
experimental music all the time, but honestly, and thinking about it,
the ambient stuff I play is far from experimental, it has been done a
thousand times before by others the last 30-40 years ;-)

Genres - Usually people like to categorise anything you can possibly
think, also artists. It's how our brain works, and it helps us to make
decisions, find out who you are, which group you belong to. There's
nothing wrong about genres.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Louie Angulo
<louie.angulo@googlemail.com> wrote:
> why dont we just say we play downstream music instead of live looping?
> i never liked that term anyway:-)

Live looping - Imo, "live looping" is a not a good name for a genre to
describe music, it doesn't sound very attractive, and from my
experience people don't understand what you mean by it ;-) They always
ask what kind of  music you play, whether you like it or not. If you
tell them you play jazz and use multiple delays/looper FX pedals, they
always say "I don't like jazz", they never say "I don't like live
looping" and they don't care about your EDP, Mobius or RC-50. However,
it's interesting to tell people about live looping as an instant
composing technique and explaining them that it helps you to write
songs.

Interesting thread! :)
--
Sjaak Overgaauw