Re: Music and performance (WAS: Why does mainstream seem more like,downstream these days?)

2011/2/16 Louie Angulo <louie.angulo@googlemail.com>
I suppose what i dislike about the whole classical trained mentality
is the conservative hierarchy and disqualification of other types of
music genres.
You're right, Louis. Same for me, but I was lucky enough to get a piano teatcher with wide view about music.
Some years after I started taking lessons with her (1986 or so) she asked me to bring her to a concert that I would choose.
Well...I brought her to a gig of ....."Paco De Lucia Sextet": at the end she asked me if I could make a cassette of that music.
That night changed our relationship "teatcher-pupil"
From that moment, she often asked me to go and listen some of the music I liked at that time, or to record cassette for her and even playing my own rudimental piano composition for her.
So I was lucky enough to get the discipline and knowledge of classical music without loosing attention to "outer" music.

It reminds me of a quotation from Mr. Andres Segovia:

"That gentleman, Paco de Lucía, people think that just because he's
got the facility to do some of those simple things he does, that he's
a genius... any one of the young fellows coming up in the guitar
competitions I attend has a fabulous technique, but all that 'pluck,
pluck, pluck', that's not technique".

Simple things? pluck, pluck', that's not technique" how arrogant!!
...and crazy !
Just listen to the "Concierto de Aranjuez" executed by Segovia and that one from Paco and then tell me who the genius is ! (with no offense for Segovia, who is a BIG !)
What I ever loved in Paco playing is that - despite the speed of his playing - e a c h single note is played for what it means in the musical context. Hid dynamic are really great IMO.