Re: Music and performance (WAS: Why does mainstream seem more like,downstream these days?)

Louie Angulo schrieb:
> interesting thread people,
> So with all the tools to document music how important do you consider
> being able to read and write it the traditional way nowdays?

Which ways are there to document music? You can remember it, you can
write it down, or you can record it. I don't see how anything has
changed, at least not in the last 60 years or so.
However, there's a big difference between recording and writing it down,
and that is that writing music down is specifying it on a much higher
abstraction level. Let's take jazz as an example: you usually have a
lead sheet, and then you give that to your band and play. And the end
result may be vastly different. Now remembering music is different
insofar, as by doing so you can take different approaches. For example,
if you listen to a performance of a specific piece, you can try to
remember it on the "overall sound" level, or you can try to remember
what every musician plays, thus making the abstraction to notes and
dynamic notation etc., or you can even figure out what it looks like as
a leadsheet and remember that.

> But what i found amazing is that they only offered me to teach only as
> an independent teacher and refuse to give me a contract on grounds
> that im not qualified because of the types of music i teach and lack
> of pedagogic diploma.

Reminds me of that old story about that teacher at the grammar school I
used to attend: he was employed as a teacher for religion, but was
active as a composer and had also established a workshop for
avantgarde/contemporary classical music at the school. Now this guy had
applied for being employed as a music teacher as well, and after some to
and fro, got the final decision by the ministry for education and
culture that this can't be done because he lacked a proper
qualification. Fortunately for that guy (one Dieter Schnebel), he could
answer that letter with his resignation from his job because he had just
been offered a chair for music composition at Hochschule der Künste in
Berlin. ;)
> Even more amazing is the fact that the teacher who quit before me had
> a diploma and all of his students did not know the differrence between
> major and minor chords and could not even play them after 3 years o
Perhaps that teacher was following some kind of
left-wing-paedagogics-school diploma where it was strictly forbidden to
teach anything formal?

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de