Re: 2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal

Art Simon wrote:
> Togy G wrote:
>  Penrose's thesis is widely rejected these days.

That's not the same as being refuted.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guys working
towards the Singularity are planning on using quantum
based technology...so they'd be hoping that Penrose
was correct.

> I'm skeptical, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

:-)

1) The whole thing is based on the idea that as growth
    is exponential it will continue to be exponential.
   In nature things that start out exponentially always
    slow down and stop. In fact, I don't think there's
    ever been an observable phenomena that simply continued
   incresing exponentially.

2) The Turing test is an interesting and provocative idea,
   but I've actually witnessed it being passed by Eliza.
   Eliza is a text based program that responds conversationally,
   very simple programming and some carefully selected keywords
   (google and download). I think Turing's point was that it's
   actually a bit meaningless to have a human assess the intelligence
   of a machine.

3) The human mind is hardly a good model for developing intelligence.

andy butler