Re: Looping In Kyoto

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, William Walker wrote:
> Hey Gang my friend Yumiko sent me these links to this weekend's
> staging of Looper's lounge that musicians Ryusei Hattori and
> Hideki"Mando Man" Nakanishi have been hosting and taking part in, Both
> guys are like brothers to me,  having come and played Rick's Y2K fest
> on several occasions since 2005. here are parts of there sets.
>  enjoy
Thanks for posting those Bill.   Both Rysuei and Hideki are amazing
musicians and great brothers.

Seeing there music really brings back fond memories for me:

     I met Ryusei when Sunao Inami and Aci brought me to Japan to play
with my solo Goth act,  Ultra Violette,  at the
Kobe Underground Festival and we played a little looping festival in
Kyoto (as memory serves).

     I immediately asked him to come to California to play the loop
festival and he suggested
Hideki as well.  I'm so glad he did.

     I hope someday to return to Japan to loop with Sunao, Ryusei and
Hideki
again.     Visiting there has been one of the highlights of my entire
musical life.    Aci and Haru were incredibly gracious
to me when I visited.   They treated me like a king.   It was also the
first time in my life that I ever recorded every single
instrument,  wrote the lyrics and sang on a song, so it was like a dream
come true to me to be included on
the Kobe Underground Compilation with many great Japanese Goth and
Darkwave bands.   When I got there,
Aci's band, Phantasmagoria backed me up.   They had already learned the
entire tune so I didn't have to play to a
backing track as I thought I might have to.     At the end of the
performance,  they introduced me as
"Loop.pooL"   and everyone left the stage.     I was flabbergasted as I
had nothing prepared and only a microphone
and all of my looping gear with me.   Luckily, I had coincidentally,
spent the past year performing acapella with
my looping gear so I just went into a heavy,  dark faux industrial beat
box and improvised for about 15 minutes.

When I stopped,  there was dead silence.     I thought I had bombed,
but the audience was just being politely patient (as they always
seem to be in Japan) and I got one of the biggest ovations I've ever had
as a solo artist.    I went from feeling horrible to being
on cloud nine in the space of 5 seconds............lol.
For the rest of the night, different Japanese bands came up to me
backstage and let me know that they had loved
my 'industrial beat-a-box-a' and wanted to know if I would contribute
some to their recordings.

     I'll never forget that experience as long as I live.

If anyone is interested, here is a page with my track, "It doesn't
matter (what they say)",  and a poster for the event and some of the
Goth remixes I made for the Bay Area goth scenes  (Peter Murphy,
Cocteau Twins and Tones on Tail)

www.looppool.info/UltraViolette/