Re: New music based around live loops

Hi Christopher -

Impressive and useful writing - very thoughtful.

The only loops are the ambient DL4 ones running thru the track with me manually running them back and forward - everything else is live. The sax is a guy called Terry Edwards whos a mate of the bass player - hes best known for playing with Spiritualized, Nick Cave and all that. i love that edge between experimental and not :).

That was incredibly useful - thanks so much, BTW the bass set up was straight into the desk at Livingstone Studios - so i'm not sure - we used a metal muff for drive.

Thanks again - RE the end - we messed around with a few ideas but i like the ambient andybutler/stephen scott inspired bit at the end - i'm bored of neat endings :)

Matt Stevens
http://www.mattstevensguitar.com
http://www.spencerparkmusic.com
mattstevensguitar@btinternet.com

On 2 May 2011, at 10:15, Christopher Darrow wrote:

>  thoughts much appreciated guys:

I very much like the production value. The sounds themselves. Great bass sound for example. What's your setup like?

Also a good use of loops--definitely loop music but not tied down completely by it. Good compromise, good way of working using the best of both for the final product.

And definitely the choice of certain chords broke expectations, so good balance of being "experimental" with out being tied down by the need to make everything noise, which (in my opinion) well... I won't get into that, except to say that here your dissonance is clearly intentional, and intentionality is meaning. The timing of those dissonant passages gives them their power.

And the range of genres is nice, and the transitions between them smooth, unforced.

Just after the change at 3:15 the track seems to loose energy. Somehow it seems back by the time the phrase repeats at 3:40. At that section the sort of eery, uncomfortable feeling it gives me, like being only half awake, is interesting and perhaps that was the intention behind the slowdown but I think that 1st one just... needs... something... Maybe something high frequency if the feeling of slowing down is intentional, or a long bass filter sweep to make it feel like a drop whereas now my consciousness just pops out of the experience of listening to it.

That's the only moment I have constructive feedback for, which is my favorite part of feedback, so I wish I had more for you.

Actually genre wise, I generally don't like some of the more dissonant / experimental stuff just because I don't like the genre personally (so maybe my 3:15 feedback is just a reflection of me not getting it) but on the whole I found the track to be very interesting despite that predisposition.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you find this helpful.

Oh, also I'd end it much more quickly.. maybe just the slide up at 5:55 after the last of the Sax dies out for only 5 seconds, if that's possible. Maybe try it and see what it sounds like... just a thought but I think that would mirror the softer beginning like bookends without loosing all that power you just built up.