Danger Danger low voltage! - was A looping fork in the road.Which way do I go?

I've been using laptop live for around 10 years now and never had a problem with low voltage,(though here in blighty we have a national power grid with strict rules on voltage fluctuations). This is probably unfeasible in a big country like the US.
I remember one gig where someone accidentally turned all the sockets off in the theatre space we were using and everything went off - except of course my lappy :-)

Gareth, Sentientfx -  Innovative music plugins. http://sentientfx.com/