Re: Bringing loops in and out with an edp

marcus kirby wrote:
Per, if I were to use your method of next loops/copy loops, how could I efficiently shift through the loops?
I have a behringer fcb.

There's a number of ways. Mine is to set SwitchQuant=CnF.

plus points...all the control you need from the minimum of switches,
  you can choose whether to record the next loop, start playback, or
  to copy onto it without any restriction.
  Timing is that of the performer(see other SwitchQuant options).

minus points...you have to hit the Next button to get the EDP to wait
  for another button press to tell it what to do.
To access more than 2 loops you have to 'scroll' through to the loop you want with repeated presses of Next.

I almost always have MoreLoops=2 and can get some quite complex
arrangements
with that, it's a restriction of course, but seems to open
up a lot of possibilities too from ease of use.

You can also call up loops directly with a midi Note, dunnow if you'll need that but I think it's in the manual
under "Looptrig#".

    Also, I was wanting to use edp1 for guitar, and edp2 for bass and
drum sounds.

On a philosophical note it's my observation that making decisions
about "how to achieve to the desired result" too soon can often be a block to getting
to that result.
All looping devices restrict what you can do by way of arrangement,
...but the trick is to find "good" arrangements that fit the looping
device.

Per Boysen wrote:
A fourth way is to use Substitute in combination with a setting that
lets you mix how much of the old audio layers will be kept under the
new slices you cut into the loop. This only works in the alternative
performance modes. I found Replace Mode to work best for me, but I
know that for example Andy Butler (that knows more about the EDP than
I do) prefers Expert Mode.

Truth is I haven't touched those alternate Modes since going over
to midi control of the EDP.
...and Expert Mode is a mystery, no-body knows who specified it,
...and nobody claims to be the relevant Expert ;-)
( discussing with Matt, we think it's some kind of an emulation
 of the Boomerang...we can tell you what it does...but not why)

I think it was Per who worked out you could access a few extra features
by putting a dummy jack plug into the expression socket.

I'm in Loop Mode just using the standard Replace and Substitute functions,
and also using rapid motion of the feedback pedal when needed.

andy butler