Re: Sound vs function

It's so hard to beat a well played guitar through a sonorous amp.  All I
use for live now is a volume pedal, wah, Ethos, T Rex Replica and amp.  No
reverb.  Let the hall itself do that!

I haven't really tried the Ethos direct, but I've heard recordings of it
that sound great.  For me, it's 400 of the best spent dollars ever and
I've spent a LOT of money over time.

I have a very old Ibanez UE400 multi effects device that I wish I could
find a foot controller for.  It sounded GREAT!  I know Dr No from Bad
Brains used one too.   That and the old Roland GR300 and blue floor module
could summon the banshees.

Having said all that, I've heard recordings from this list that I like
that were heavily effected by modern digital multi effects units.  Often I
discover it's a Eventide Orville or some very high powered device.  I
suspect that any device run through a great singing amp will sound good.

The big issue is the A/D converters, too much dithering and all that
stuff.

Analogue summing really helps.

Richard Sales
Sent from my IPad