Re: Reviewing Faderfox LV3 mini hand MIDI mixer/controler

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
>> The four top row rotary knobs can be programmed to for absolute mode
> How do you get them to work from 0..127 in mainstage?

I don't use absolute mode. I use them to just add or subtract from the
actual level of the target parameter, incrementally that is. So if a
track level parameter is left at value 67 my turning of the Faderfox
knob to the right will start increasing this parameter like 68, 69,
70, 71 and so on. Or if I grab the knob and turn it left the parameter
will go 66, 65, 64 etc.

> What is your best practic to transform "send 127" or "toggle 0/127"
> buttons into press=127/release=0 buttons (like clip launch)? I'd like to
> assign more buttons to instant functions i.e. instant stutter or delay
> tap. How do you work-around with mainstage?

I don't work - it just works. When using a button style control object
(from the Mainstage graphic object pool) Mainstage interprets both
type of Faderfox buttons in the same way.  The buttons that only send
the 127 value and the buttons that send alternatively 0 and 127 gets
treated the same way due to me having chosen the Mainstage button
style control object. Well, that's my educated guess of how it works -
I don't really know the details but in this case sending the value 0
and 127 both gives the same "toggle function" result.

>>Genius design
> Can you give an example, how this would work with scaling in Mainstage
> usefully?

A volume pedal is a good example; you typically want it to not be
linear but to rather increase volume a bit faster in the beginning -
if starting from the silent position (heel down / tow up on the
expression pedal). At least that's how I like it. Then you apply the
actual scaling at the binding between the graphical Mainstage object
and the software parameter. These scaling is presented like a graph in
an X/Y field and you can click the graph to create nodes that you can
drag to shape the graph for exactly the envelop you want.

But there is also an option to apply some scaling at the binding
between graphical Mainstage control object at the incoming external
MIDI stream. Not by linear curves, just by deciding if a control
object shall behave like an on/off thing, like a linear sweep or like
momentary switch. Or if it shall follow data scaled, in an absolute
way or incrementally.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se