GR-55 (Re: Tuner 4 Mac (Re: OT: metronome plugin ?))

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Louie Angulo
<louie.angulo@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Great Per!
> been following the GR-55 thread,i sold my GR-33 a while ago and been
> looking into this one
> from what ive gather so far is that the amp sims arent as good as a
> mulit fx proccessor,correct?

Yes, exactly my opinion too!

> but being able to do open tunings and having guitar amp sim  and
> synths sounds on a single unit does sound exciting  and something ive
> waited for thus saving from taking a lot of gear on the road!

You got it! :-)  For use with the Stick it comes out pretty nice as
you can cable the bass side through the Normal Guitar Pickup pipe and
play the melody side as any of the two Synth Tones, Cosm Modelling or
a combination of all three - well, that's my favored setup; always
having a good clean sound on the bass side in combinations with new
sounds for the Melody in each patch.

And I was able to set up morphing delay looping systems all within the
GR-55! Typically setting the expression pedal to do all this while
sweeping from toe up down to toe down:

- increasing tone volume ("direct sound", not affecting delay, reverb etc).
- decreasing volume of delay effect.
- decreasing delay effects feedback value.

I use this as full feedback at the toe-up position, meaning a loop
will stay forever if you close the line by the volume pedal. If
"swelling in" a note by the pedal (fast toe-down and then back to
toe-up position while playing) the delay feedback dips down to 30
percent which means old layers will back off under the new sound
you're throwing in. I keep all effects tempo synced and this simple
feedback delay looper runs at one hole note's length. There is also a
"phrase looper" in the GR-55 but I doubt I will ever use that one, the
delay hole note fiddling feels more musically creative as you can
morph the loop to infinity - while the phrase looper either becomes
boring too soon or goes belly-up with an ugly bump ;-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com