Re: OT: VJ Programs... becoming a meandering critisism of programming/processing

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Sylvain Poitras <sylvain.trombone@gmail.com> wrote:
Actually, processing is all about artsy visual, animation, interactive
stuff.  The sonifying processing project brings music into processing
so you can mess with sound.

I have delved a for a few moments now...

http://computermusicblog.com/blog/sonifyingprocessing/

and I must say that Im not terribly interested. Processing is primarily a programmers tool. Of course more and more programming is required in many forms of art, as the computer has become such a vital tool. I have tried and tried to program, and have struggled with Java and Action script, have cut n pasted in C in all its forms for game programming, Ive scripted Mobius... and so it will be, and more so, I have no doubt... in the future... but Ive never become able to truly produce my dreams...

Every so often Ive come back to Processing thru one arty video forum or another, and... I must say...

I have yet to see anything interesting done in Processing!

(Ducks behind fire hydrant, spanner in hand).
Flash! yes, Game Engines... Oh my god YES! Even html yes yes yes.. Processing seems to get people making... well.. tiny little visual experiments... kind of nice.. but nothing really with any real conceptual meat!
Its like in my company, the programmers sit in one room with PC's and the designers sit in another with macs... and we all meet once in a while to discuss what we need from each other...and you know, I think thats the right approach..
When programmers try to produce art, its never Art, its always like a demo or a small "look what I can do" boast... (now I can feel Im really ducking molotov cocktails)...
To me, Art has heart.
In a way it why the beginning of my seach for a visual music tool, was the VJ world.. because this world is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE... they want an instant hit, instant satisfaction and immediate feedback, thats not art either, but certainly the immediacy of the VJ approach is more in tune with my musical world of improvisation, act and react.

Having taken that route I have over shot the simplicity of these programs and find that I do need something more complex and in depth, because Im not interested in doing the same as many before me...and have found myself at a place where I do need to learn some programming, but using a visual programming approach, rather than scripting.

hope I havent ruffled any feathers, and if people can point me in the direction of some truly outstanding Processing stuff, then I cant wait to be amazed!

Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com
www.ordoabkhao.com
http://vimeo.com/user825094