Chicks, Looping, and Harmonica (was Why...?)

Hi Mark and all,

Of course it worked! I can stop making noise and start talking to them while my performance continues . . .

But seriously, since we are all ‘fessing up (again—one wonders how many times this thread has come up on LD), I might as well confess why I find looping so attractive.

Making music is like painting the silence with sound—so loopers enable you to accumulate those brush strokes.

I play plectrum guitar (as opposed to fingerstyle—hi Ted) and so find it harder to play contrapuntally—although I am heavily into harmonica now, that helps.

I have tried looping harmonica, but just putting guitar thru the signal processors in addition to the free reed sounds seems to be enough noise—and of course, chicks dig harmonica!

I am retuning harps, and have started really digging into the tuning I used on my track for the 20th Anniversary clip collection—I think it’s on Kris’ website.

It’s a IV6 blow/V6 draw tuning—so no tonic chord. It’s fully chromatic with draw bends, only one note needs be produced with the extended technique known as overblowing.

Brendan Power claims to have used it first on a recording, I think he calls it Power Chromatic. But it is a 10 hole diatonic tuning.

I just retuned a Steve Baker Special 14 hole to this tuning in C, and am reeeally happy with how it turned out. I have also built chromatics with this tuning, but I don’t like it as well as bebop tuned chrom.

Chaz, nice to see another harp player on these pages—some great players are starting to show up.

I am also glad you like the RC-20, I want to hear when people like the tools they have chosen.

I am on tenterhooks waiting for the next level of pedal loopers, the LP-2 by Bob Amstadt. Even as we speak, he is assembling my unit in his garage.