Re: Creating Space

space is the place, man.  :)

My approach could be the other end of the spectrum, but my suggestion would be to re-think how we use looping gear, which in this case would be to stop using it as a beat maker (and I don't mean percussion). Stereotypically, I see that many loopers lay down bass grooves, rhythm grooves, percussion grooves, etc, and then layer over that...then almost immediately they have a wall of sound with very little space. Perhaps try using the looper to loop minimalist textures, motiffs, phrases, etc, which don't lean toward any meter or time signature. Then you can play over that in various ways, or even loop something more metered later on over it. One other approach is to lay off the addictive Fripp-like wall of sound, etherial pad-delay looping, which tends to have absolutely no space.

Space is absolutely beautiful. My most favorite performances with other musicians are when people lose their fucking egos and play less, listen, think, and feel more. Let the music unfold, vs. forcing it. Have a little musical conversation with someone, or yourself...but keep the vocabulary simple, and don't talk over each other, or yourself. I really like to use live performace as a metahpor for human conversation and try to apply some of the same rules of ediqutte.

...just one perspective.  Many are valid I am sure.

Kris