Re: To those who make a living off of music

On Feb 16, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Rick Walker wrote:

> The one thing that you might miss out on in this example would be the
> high caliber of fellow students that you'd encounter at a place like
> Berklee or Julliard (or any other good musical University).
>
> rick walker

that is by far the best thing about music school... well that, and the
variety of teachers... getting a bunch of different perspectives from
solid teachers every day is also great... but the students become your
future colleagues and friends and sure do make for a whole lot of learning
how to be around other people who are working towards the same thing as
you are. I was one of 35 Jazz guitar majors, some way better than me, some
way worse... but we were all working hard towards being ourselves before
anything.... that and learning the basics of music.

I agree about Berklee... not a whole lot of personal attention there,
until you get to the last 2 years... then I'm sure it's like anywhere
else. What is there like 1000 first year guitar students... yikes...
factory city... then again... if you can stick out in that big of a crowd
you're doing pretty good.

Teddy