Re: Do We Perceive Beauty in an Unexpected Context

[shudder] Consider the awful opinion made in “The Incredibles” when the villain claims that he’s out to provide devices to the public (when he’s really just got a grudge against super heroes) so “everyone will be super”: “And when everyone is super, no one will be...”  Chilling look at some folks’ desire for a homogenous, easily controlled and marketed-to populace, that. But a great metaphor nonetheless.

The discussion that non-creatives will NEVER broach is that of what distinguishes creative people from folks who couldn’t do so if their lives depended on it.  I’m certainly not going to stir that bowl of stuff.  The moment one makes such a distinction, it leads to an us-vs-them mentality on the part of non-creatives... if that doesn’t quietly exist already.  Have you ever had a long discussion with an accountant?  Some of them insist that their work is “creative”, when all they’re good at is finding holes in existing rules, and exploiting them for their clients.

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: Do We Perceive Beauty in an Unexpected Context

I say that "if everyone was equally famous" we would be in a world where all is equal: equal innate ability, equal ability to study, equal ability to penetrate the complexity of life and translate it in music or painting or..., equal ability to manage themselves, equal ability to see a new little point of view, equal ability to make a serious journey into the "search of meaning" etc...
I think that all these things are distribuited in many different way and so there are "artists" and "not artists", "art" and "not art". All that in a hard complex world that asks us every day the effort to penetrate what we are looking and listening.