Re: ADSR real time plug in?

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Daniel Thomas <danielthomas4@mac.com>
wrote:
> The problem with plug-in fx on a live input is the throughput latency.
> Passing up into the DAW and back to the soundcard port causes substantial
> latency rendering many fx unusable in a live play context.

On my RME laptop rig the roundtrip latency is about 12 ms. Not quite
"substantial" to me, but that's of course personal. I would guess it
translates to standing three meters way from your amp speaker.
Musicians coming from a live gigging background don't have much
problem with latency because it exists in the air and varies on every
stage, but home studio bedroom musicians that are used to playing with
headphones might find latency a bigger challenge.

I guess latency wouldn't mean much of a problem in this thread that is
about a plugin that takes the distinct attack away from the sound
anyway ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com