Re: Vocabulary of the looper

Don't worry - I finally found out what "multiply" is a couple weeks ago!

When people talk about "beds" in music, such as ambient beds, textural
beds, sound beds, etc, we're usually talking about non-rhythmic,
non-melodic backgrounds, created to add flavor to the melodic and
rhythmic elements. A "bed" might be a drone, or a very slow
arrangement of synth chords, a recording of an outside environment,
some sort of white noise, etc. I can't think of any popular music
examples, but in Indian classical music, the tamboura plays a similar
role.

Another looping word I've been using, and that I've seen other people
use is "seam". The seam would be the start/end point of a loop. In
standard looping, it usually comes on the first downbeat of the
measure. Depending on the nature of the sound source, sometimes there
actually is an audible click. Some musicians (such as myself) attempt
to hide the seam, in hopes that if people lose track of the loop's
start/end point, they will stop perceiving the loop as an unaltered
(canned?) element.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com