Re: Tayler Variaxs vs GR 55

Hi Luis,

I have only tried out the Variax system briefly at guitar fairs, so I
can't say I have any hands-on experience with it. But I have owned a
GR-55 for some time and had a fair chance to get down with it. The
sound is ok AFAIK but the nice thing with the GR-55 is all the effects
that you can patch up in different configurations (well, according to
two optional global routing schematics). You also get a good chance to
sign up pedals and other controllers for effect parmeter control. As
long as using the GR-55 pedal I can not feel any latency in the sound.
Even though I know it is the synthetic COSM modeling, not the physical
vibration from my strings, it feels totally real and musical to play a
guitar through the GR-55 using only the COSM sounds (a few, that are
good... some suck). The COSM + synths track pitch well OMO, here is a
demo recording using a Sitar COSM sound where I play glissando well
over a fifth's range:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4963264/gr55_fretless_demo_sitar.mp3

All the synths that comes with the packages is something I value too.
You can stack two synths behind the COSM, and even blend in the real
pickup output too if you want - but since I use a harp guitar I bring
out the harp strings through the real pickup channel. The guitar neck
is fretless and uses an active EMG humbucker and I don't mind
replacing that sound with the COSM guitar sounds. But when using a
Chapman STick I wouldn't dream about loosing out on the real magnetic
pickup output, because Sticks have s Telecaster like single coil that
gives a shimmer to the sound that just doesn't exist within the COSM
world.

I saw last month at a guitar biz fair that Roland now has a GR-55
Stratocaster type guitar as well, but I think I prefer the GR-55 pedal
with a GK-3 pickup on the guitar.

Hoping someone else has some hands-on experience with the Variax to
post. Would be fun to read :-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com