Re: Tennis Elbow OT

>> Wow, that's a pretty hard assessment.  How is it fantasy?
>

> :-)
> good question,
>
> as I understand it, it's based  on the existence meridian lines that are
> undetectable by any process, and a philosphy of ying and yang that makes
> some very far fetched assertions.
>
> To say "total" fantasy is an overstatement of course, but
> my point is that if acupuncture is genuinely useful
> it's because it has a quantifiable physical effect on the
> body, not because it is magic.

I'm sure there are studies (such as
http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/pdf/s4926e/s4926e.pdf) that show
benefit to accupuncture.  That one is from the World Health
Organization so I'd be inclined to put some faith in their findings.

I'm sure there are plenty of practices and beliefs in western medicine
that make some very far fetched assertions as well.  Generally I've
found the philosophy of yin/yang to be pretty useful as far as any
philosophy goes.  But as they say ymmv.

As far as placebo and biofeedback questions go, I personally don't
care myself.  If it works then you're happy.  If you could learn to do
it without the props of 'medicine' (of any sort) then all the better.
But until we figure out how to direct our bodies to heal themselves,
anything that works is good.  I also find the idea of the meridians
quite sensible too, even if there isn't any way to objectively
demonstrate it.  The body lives while the 'life force' is in it.  When
it stops or is gone, so is the body.  As far as I know, there is no
objective way to demonstrate the energy source that makes the heart
beat either.

But common sense is always good, magical thinking is probably not
going to cure your cancer you know.

Kevin

--
Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)