Directness in Simplicity

On 1/23/2013 5:21 AM, Jeff Duke wrote:
I just noticed that my Line 6 M9 has a button for undo/redo, never noticed it before!

That's hilarious, Jeff.

In my own work (and I own an M-9 and use it live) I'm so used to the architecture of the LP-1 (and now the LP-2) that I got really into creating seamless overdubs so that if I ever UDNO a loop (or five) I am also thinking ahead of the game and ready to re-record something
quickly.

That said and done, the single RE-DO on the M-9 is useful if you are playing a second instrument in a performance and you suddenly want to bring in that part that you eliminated with an UNDO
to suddenly fill things out.

Another thought about UNDO is that I rarely use very many layers in my looping anyway, so I actually don't use a lot of UNDO in my playing, though glad Bob put that feature into
the LP-2.

With the exception of ambient music where lots of smeary layers are a plus, I think that a lot of loopers forget that everyone in a sextet has to play commensurately less and simpler parts
to make an arrangement really powerful than in a duo or trio.

So many loopers at the festival, Lili Lewis and Jerry Barnes come to mind immediately played pieces of music with a single loop and then played over it , beautifully so
there's a lot of potential in minimalism whilst looping.

It, of course, is not the only way to go, and all forms of expression are , of course, valid, but I find that if I keep my loop count down that there is directness in the simplicity.