making a living

I honestly don't think Rick is exaggerating.  There are tons of gigs in
Northern California, and most of 'em pay shit.

I occasionally get to open a show at Slim's or the Great American Music
Hall, usually for $250 or so.  But a "headline" or co-bill at the Starry
Plough or Don Quixote's is a door deal, with a deception for the club's
overhead, etc., and they like to keep the ticket prices down to get more
people in the door to buy beer - and of course, they don't offer the
entertainers a share of the bar take.