Re: The importance of accidents in music.

Per Boysen " For solo musicians its very important to develop strategies to allow accidents to happen"

I just pick up my guitar and accidents happen.
Only joking. im not sure if this conversation is only regarding improvisatinal music or not. Because Im totally happy to listen to music that has been programmed, or is being generated "On the fly" by a modular system, with no human interaction. An accident though, does not need to mean a mistake, Im not sure how happy Per is when he plays a B when it should be a G, and sounds all discordant and wrong (happens to me all the time, but Per is more... technically accomplished than I will ever me, he at least knows a few scales I wager?) no, and accident is more like an "unexpected turn of events". And they are very important in music.

I have just performed at a noise festival here in Oslo.(http://www.polyfokt.com/) Noise (or Støy in Norwegian) is an umbrella name that is often used to mean, free improv, experimental, noise. Almost all of the performers are randomly making extreme noise, using extended playing techniques, home-made instruments (one performer built an IKEA table, miked up, as his performance) accidents happening all the time. But when THAT is the norm, it becomes boring too!
So when, out of the blue one or too performers suddenly launch into a highly planned and well executed section, THAT seems like the accident, then it becomes interesting.