Re: what is the state of things with pedals these days?

I think only the delay can be midi synced, not the looper.

You will find a direct statement about it from Ethan from Strymon in the discussion below:
http://www.strymon.net/2012/04/30/looping-with-strymon-timeline/

Note, Timeline will also not send midi clock (acc. to strymon faq).

To make sure ask Strymon support directly, perhaps newer firmware handles it better.

Cheers,
Michał

i gotta say, I've been dying to get my mitts on one , but Im way over done
on gear expenditures this year great to know about the midi note
flexibility, does the looper respond to midi clock? The  Timeline is the
only other stereo on the market that could possibly take the place of my
Timefactor because of that expanded loop capability, and pre/post delay
option,but if it can't hand giving or receiving midi clock that would
probably be a deal breaker for me.
Thanks
  Bill