Re: Software looping

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 11:47 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

> Anything like triggering loops, or changing speed still suffers the
> latency.

Yes, that is true - but the point, in my post, is that the loop's
playback is compensated for latency; so in the music you will never
hear latency. The software has all the time of one loop round to
calculate it.

However...

As for "manual riggering pf loops and speed stuff" I'd say it is like
playing an instrument, and all instruments are affected by more or
less latency. If you for example bow a slowly fading in cello note
your natural music instinct makes you start bowing a little earlier
than the tone is supposed to reach the ear of the listener. Any
musician that has played in electric bands on big stages has learned
to the latency coming from stage monitors being spread out over a big
area. Same goes for musicians in the symphony orchestras; the french
horn guys sometimes need to play a lot earlier when using that cool
haunted tone of directing the horn backward to let the sound appear as
a reflection from the rear concert hall wall. People that tend to
experience an issue with those short latency values are either
acoustic guitar players or flutists that have never played amplified
(natural instrument sound source always at the same close-up distance
to one's ears) or they are bedroom studio wizards used to hearing
everything in headphones.

To me a great deal of the charm in a looper like Mobius is to use it
super quantized on almost any processing, even the MIDI commands from
my pedals triggering looper actions. I like a resolution around a 32d
note (for a normal 60 to 150 bpm tempo). Even for speed shifting loops
into melodies and chords I think such a short quantization of manual
commands sound better than totally free-wheeling. But this if of
course when running several parallel loops; you have a sound of a
precision machine and to me even a 32 second duration "wrong" between
glitch-swarms sound way better then "something in between correct and
sloppy timing". I can certainly hear how parallel loops in Mobus,
running simultaneously on different tracks, now and then "correct
themselves" (adjusting for tempo drifting) but I don't think that
sounds bad. You can adjust the drift adjustment settings by ear and
taste.

Speaking about all this, most of my experience with loopers is from
running them un-synced; i.e. as the tempo master and we all know that
track sync and similar stuff suffers a lot in a slave syncing device.
You hear that in most gear; it sounds musical when running on its own
but as soon as you tempo slave sync it to some other (master) device
something in the music dies.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com