Re: Echoplex - How Do I?

At 1:48 PM -0700 9/1/00, Michael Clark wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm on a learning curve with the Echoplex - a wonderful instrument.
>
>I want to create a soundscape in Loop #1 and Loop Copy it to Loop #2 where
>I will add a rhythm.
>
>The problem is that I press Next Loop and wait for Loop #1 to cycle
>through
>before Loop #2 begins recording - that's OK I suppose.  Since Loop #1 is a
>soundscape with no rhythm or click track, I'm late with my rhythm track
>when Loop #2 is activated and recording - thus creating a dead space.  So,
>I begin playing in Loop #2, then stop recording and let Loop #2 cycle
>through.  At the beginning of Loop #2 is the dead space, which makes the
>chord progression too erratic, rhythmically.  I want to hit some
>button/switch and immediately begin the Loop Copy and Recording process in
>Loop #2.  Can I do that?

yes, certainly. I think Claude explained it already.

it is the conflict between quantized and freedom... :-)

You simply need to turn the SwitchQuant parameter off, so loop switching
happens immediately when you hit the Next button instead of waiting to the
end of the loop. Let *you* be in charge of the rhythm, instead of the
machine. play it as an instrument.

Also, set the AutoRecord parameter to On, so it starts recording
immediately when you go to an empty loop.

You will find the Echoplex readily supports both free and quantized
playing, largely due to the differences of it's creators and others who
influenced it's development. Matthias, of course, is the one who supports
the freedem of unquantized, immediate playing.... you will find that
ingrained in the heart of it. I'm always the one insisting on more sync
functions and proper behavior with quantizing, along with Claude....;-)

kim